Recovery is a word that is being thrown around a lot of late but what does it even mean? What should I be doing to help recovery and that its actually going to help me recover? Unfortunately, there isn’t a magic potion (or sports drink) that is going to help you so here is my top 5 do’s and don’ts for recovery. In no specific order.
1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep
2. Complete myofascial recovery (foam roller, trigger ball, compression)
3. Drink at least 3L of water (for an adult) Increased if you are performing exercise.
4. Complete some form of active recovery (light swimming, walking, jogging, movements that mimic your sport)
5. Nutrition Carbs 0.8g/kg of BW Protein 0.2-0.4g/kg of BW consumed together.
1. Drink alcohol
2. Sit in the sun for long durations
4. Don’t listen to your body and push through (if you need sleep, sleep, if you are injured seek assistance)
5. Don’t complete any of the above DO’s.