When getting back into your regular routines after some time away, holiday or just making that change for you own health reasons it is not always ease to start out in a set exercise program. So we may need to start out smaller with what we are aiming to do on a weekly basis. What can be used as a starting point is to increase the amount of incidental exercise that you do throughout your normal day.
Incidental exercise is the exercise that we get throughout the course of our daily activities, it can be done in smaller amounts during the day and should form the basis of your total daily activities. This smaller amount of activity can be built up over time or increased on purpose to increase the amount of activity you are participating in on a regular basic.
The best way to gradually increase your incidental exercise it to replace or change some your habits so that you can increase movement opportunities. Some simple ways to do this is to
- Park further away for the shops or work so that you can add extra time walking to your day
- When there is the opportunity use stairs.
- Make use of a pedometer. Start out just seeing how may steps you are taking during a day then find ways to increase that number.
- When talking on your mobile walk or pace around instead of sitting still.
- Household chores can be tiresome, however take them as a opportunity to participate in physical activity.
By making some changes to your everyday life you can increase your physical activity levels, moving more is better than not moving at all.