With the New Year comes the need to make those changes that you intended to achieve last year or a change in attitude/ behaviour, everyone who has tried to make and stick to a new change in the past know that it is not as easy as it sounds. So this year here are some tips to help you make and then attack the changes that you want to make to your life.
- Start small: – Drastic changes are not easy to stick to so you need to be realistic an ensue that the changes are achievable. E.g. if you would like to participate in more exercises sessions per week, the action would be to go to the gym 2-3 days a week instead of one.
- Change one behavior at a time: – Our habits and behaviors are developed over the course of our lives they will NOT be changed in a day or a week or even a month, you will need to have patience to stick to your guns.
- Talk about It: – Everyone needs support when they are trying to make a change even if it is a small change, so share what it is you are trying to achieve with your family and friends. If some of the members of your family or friends are trying to make similar changes you can help each other out. E.g. to go for a daily walk; the action could be made to make a group that you can go for a walk with on a daily basis or join a existing walking group.
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up: – When trying to make changes there are always going to be minor set backs or slips back into old behavior, this is a normal part of life the thing to remember is to not give up on yourself.
- Ask For Support: – Ask for the support of family and friends and if you feel that that will not be enough there is also the option of seeking out professional help